I got to spend the morning at the occupy thing in Boston this weekend. I got myself a tour and took plenty of pics. Maybe I will write up a few posts from my notes in the coming days. For today, their thoughts about a new charter.
The Occupy Boston people don't seem to have much enthusiasm for the United States Constitution. They have plastered some paper on the sidewalk and invite you to add your thoughts about what the "new" constitution ought to say. Their invitation reads "We can do better. Here goes.....".
And what are the occupiers adding? The things they want in a new constitution seem to fall into a few general categories. Each bullet point entry is a quote from the poster.
STUFF WE ALREADY HAVE
- Equal rights
RIGHT TO FOOD AND SHELTER. AND LOVE.
- Free Food!!
- Right to nourishing food
- Right to a home to live in
RIGHT TO WAGES, EARNED OR NOT
- Right to food,shelter, healthcare and more understanding/love!
- Right to a basic survival wage regardless of ability to work or access to waged work.
RIGHTS FOR THOSE WHO MAY NOT EVEN BE CITIZENS
- Access to ESOL lessons for new immigrants.
RIGHT TO HEALTH CARE
- Healthcare for EVERYONE.
- Affodable healthcare
- A RIGHT to Healthcare.
PUNISHMENTS OF VARIOUS KINDS FOR THOSE IN AUTHORITY
- Police would face harsher penalties than the general public. No more crony cops.
- IRS should be outlawed!
- FED Abolished too!
- Term Limits!
- (S)he who does not contribute to the common good deserves no common good.
DREAMS OF THE IDEAL
- End America's cycle of poverty.
- Get $ out of politics.
- We can end LGBTQ partner abuse....we can do this as a community.
- Stop violence.
- Everyone is important.
- Free HUGS!
- The earth, air and water cannot be owned. They are free resources that must be preserved for use by all.
- A better tomorrow.
- Live Love Learn
- more fishing poles
- Ministry of Partying
- Re-think the American Dream!
- Corporations are not people.
- Corporations should not have the same (or more) rights than citizens.
- People before corporate profits.
- A legal system not based on precedent.
- Keep jobs here. Stop outsourcing.
- No bailouts for corporations.
ONE PERSON seems to get that we can just amend the document we have. This contributor, however, might have missed the part where our founders inserted checks and balances and a balance of powers, precisely to make it harder for the powerful to find ways to subvert the Constitution. Here is what (s)he wrote:
New Ammendment (sic)
- Our political leaders should abide by the constitution instead of continuing to find ways to subvert it.
Create personalized gifts at Zazzle.